Banking & Finance
Some of our representative work highlights in the banking & finance sector are listed below. In addition to our strong presence in convention banking, Ekvita is also a leader on Islamic banking products.
- Acted as a legal expert in New York court on a $3.3 billion debt restructuring case representing IBA - the largest commercial bank of Azerbaijan.
- Acted as a legal counsel for a New York based bank in registering mortgage over a $30 million vessel operating in Azerbaijan.
- Advised the largest bank of Azerbaijan on international financing agreement in the amount of $9.5 million.
- Advised a leading Azerbaijani bank on several lines of financing for import trade financing transactions (Murabaha) with the International Islamic Trade Financing Corporation (ITFC) in the amount of $3.5 million.
- Prepared full suite of documentation for a subsidiary of Islamic Corporation for Development (ICD) on establishment of the first Islamic insurance (Takaful) company in Azerbaijan.
- Acted as fully outsourced legal counsel for Ansar, the only leasing company in Azerbaijan operating on the principles of Islamic Finance (part of ICD).
- Advised several banks in Azerbaijan on several other products of Islamic finance (Murabaha, Vakala, Ijaraah etc).